Monday 25 August 2014

Night Skincare Routine


So today, I will be talking about my skincare routine that I use at night!  This has been my routine for a good three or four months now and it has worked really well!  Just so that you can get a nice feel for this routine, I think it's an all rounder, meaning I think it would work for most people, unless you have extremely oily or dry skin.  I have combination/dry skin.

Step 1 - Makeup Removal
If I am wearing makeup, I like to take it off before I cleanse my face!  I have tried SO many eyemakeup remover over the years, but I found that the best is definetely baby oil! Yes, regualr baby oil! I love it because;  it doesn't hurt when you get it in your eyes, it's super smooth and takes off mascara so easily and it's really affordable! 

What I do is, I take a cotton pad and soak it in the oil,  then let it rest on my eye for a bit and then I swipe.  One pad is usually enough for both eyes.  Since my eyes are quite oily afterwards, I just swipe a cotton pad which has been soaked with the Bioderma Micellar Water over my eyes and my face to remove concealer and highlight.  No, I do not wear foundation! 

Step 2 - Cleanser
Since I have more time to spend in the bathroom at night,  I like to use my Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser which is one of my holy grail products!  I even bring a travel size with me when I go on trips.  I massage it into my face as if it were moisturizer, since it has a very creamy texture and what I like to do is brush my teeth after I've rubbed it all in, just to let it sink into the skin.  I then take a muslin or regular facecloth,  soak it in hot water and press it on my face once or twice.   

Step 3 - Toner
When I have let my face dry after cleansing it, I spray my face with the La Roche Posay Serozinc Toner.  I don't really think this toner makes a difference to my skin,  I preferred using the Liz Earle Toner which was really refreshing.  I really enjoyed spraying it on my face! It had no alcohol in it unlike most toners, which meant that it didn't sting my face.  I'd recommend it if you have oily skin because alot of the toners targeted towards oily complexions have alot of alcohol in them which just dries out the skin.

Step 4 - Moisturise
Once my toner has set on my face, it's time to moisturise! Lately, I've been using the Kiehls Skin Rescuer because when I came back after my holiday I realized how my skin hadn't taken my carb-loaded holiday (Greece, the UK and Ireland) too well.  I also tend to use it when I come back from a Duke of Edinburgh Expedition (camping and hiking trip).  If my skin isn't acting up,  I use a regular moisturiser like the Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè or the Bioderma Hydrabio Riche which are both lightweight.

If there's one thing I dislike strongly (trying not to use the word hate),  it's having chapped lips!  Soft lips are my 'thing'. At night I like to use the Nuxe Rêve de Miel lip balm because it's super thick.  It has a similair texture to peanut butter, soft not crunchy.  Using it at night means that it will really give it time to sink in, and not be rubbed off from eating or drinking out of a water bottle.  I like to scrub my lips before with the Lush Mint Julips Lip Scrub in order to get rid of dead skin.

Step 5 - Finishing Touches
The last step of my skincare routine, is what I think makes the difference!  I never used facial oils, so when I started to get combination skin, it was pretty much out of the question.  But then I read about using bio oil as a facial oil instead of just on stretch marks, and I really noticed how much brighter my skin looked and also how it was more even.  Since then I've been using it every night.

After moisturizing I add two drops of Bio Oil onto my hand and recently I've taken a splodge of raw coconut oil aswell, I mix those inbetween my palms so that the coconut oil melts and then I massage it onto my face.  If I have any blemishes I'll pat a bit of Sudocrem onto them, which is another really basic cream that I use all the time.  I like it because it dries out my spots and doesn't have any really strong acids in it that sting.

So that's my night time skincare routine. What's yours?  Do you have any holy grail products you'd wish to share?





No comments:

Post a Comment